Home » About Us
Musselburgh Curling Club (MCC) was established in 1816 by a group of the town’s businessmen. They curled on a pond located on a site, which is now the job centre’s car park, until in 1866 when they had to abandon the site following a complaint from the local net factory. The club through one of their members built tennis courts at Monktonhall with the dual purpose of flooding these in winter for curling. An extra sheet was added at a later date. To take advantage of frosty nights lighting columns were erected so play could carry on into the night.
As well as competing amongst themselves matches were organised against Dalkeith, Duddingston, Holyrood, Roslin, Penicuik, Merchiston and many more. In 1838 the Royal Caledonian Club was formed into which MCC was instituted adding to their challenges of playing in District & Province competitions including many Bonspiels on Cobbinshaw Loch.
Depending on Jack Frost’s good nature outside play carried on well into the 1900’s however in 1912 the building of two ice rinks at Haymarket and Lochrin in Edinburgh guaranteed regular play. Lochrin closed in 1917 Haymarket 1978. Murrayfield opened 1980 which is where we all play today.
In 1946 MCC’s outdoor rink was in a state of disrepair and was given up. Another major change was the membership was open to non Musselburgh residents which continue to this day.
The Club maintains its long connection with the town’s sportsmen & women from Archery, Rugby, Golf, Football and not forgetting horse racing which this year like the MCC celebrates its bi-centenary.
The club welcomes all from new starts to experienced players.